If you’re a Windows sysadmin, there may have been a time in your life when you want to monitor the performance of a system over a period of time.
By default, Performance Monitor will offer a System Performance report that will monitor the system for one minute, and the interval for which it runs you cannot set.
That is, you can’t tell the in built report collector to run for more than a minute:
What if you want to gather report data for more than that, for example if you’re running a load test on a system over the course of an hour or so?
Well, thankfully you can save the in-built report as a template, and then re-import it. You can do that with these steps:
- Save the in-built report as a template
- Import the in-built report as a user-defined report
- Upon navigating through the wizard, you may find that you get the following error – “This security ID may not be assigned as the owner of this object”:
- This means that the saved template security field has the wrong security principles in it. To fix this, just open up the XML file in your favourite editor, and remove all the information between the <Security></Security> tags:
- Done! Now you can set a custom run time: